Saturday, December 7, 2013

Excerpts for fall



[Sorry that I have been so bad at keeping this up to date.  J.D. is now taking care of his face book site, but I am still responsible for the blog--Steve Goates]

9/30
Not much is new this week. Sorry, I'm really boring.  We've all been sick here. I just recently got over it but now my comp has it. I've spent way too much time in the apt these last few days. I'M GOING STIR CRAZY! Oh well, no one's fault. I just have nothing to do haha.  [It was at this point that they recorded his singing of “You Raise Me Up” that he later posted on facebook.]
Eng classes are going well. We just recently got a new investigator from it. He came to the class, then made a comment of not having a church and that he was looking for one. So we asked him if we could teach him a little bit and he said yes. It was a wonderful first lesson. So we'll see what happens with him.

10/7
Saturday was an amazing day. I too loved the talk on meekness. I loved Elder Holland's talk. It was one of my favorites. For once someone has come out and talked about actual depression, and it was good. Pres. Uchtdorf's was a wonderful talk. And I was actually going to suggest that everyone read it too. I liked what he said, which has not been said before, "the church is not perfect. God is, but He works through imperfect beings." This is different than the statement, "the church is perfect, the people aren't." I like that he notes that the church will never be perfect because we will never be perfect, but the love of God is pure and that's what's important. It was necessary that I heard that Saturday when I could listen.

I'm better and so is my comp. We recently found a new investigator who came to conference this past week. He's the one from eng class. I don't remember if I told you about him. He's way cool and actually knew a few members from the church who he hadn't seen in years. So that was really cool.

We start facebook this Thursday or something. Joy.

10/21
Some funny things this week. While walking down the street we passed two guys walking in uniforms with a basket. As we passed them they stopped us and said, "would you like some free condoms. We're just out here giving out free condoms to the community." It was fairly funny. Not to mention the fact that they weren't individual condoms they were giving us, it was a pack of like 20.

The next night we passed a long white bus with blue lights on the inside. Immediately I saw the pole and then noticed the woman started her lap dance for some guy. Hahaha it was hilarious. My comp was truly oblivious to it. Then, the next night we found a less active member who wasn't on our records who I am pretty sure has schitzophrenia.

As for facebook, it's been interesting. They require us to change our names, change what pictures we have, and really everything about who we are/were. Don't get me wrong, I love this ward, the members, and my investigators. We've in fact made a lot of progress! I just sometimes get frustrated with mission rules and lack of trust.

10/28
So I am for sure getting transferred and I'm unhappy about it. I've finally gotten places with investigators and less-actives. I worried these people are going to be forgotten about. On a sad note, I'm also leaving Elder Erickson. I have never had someone I have trusted more in my life. He is the greatest friend I have ever had. I can tell him anything. He also says I'm the person he trusts most in his life. I never before have had a friend like that. So I'm sad to be leaving him. I'm really hoping my “child” takes my place here because I actually trust Waidmann to do a good job.

I made turkey and beans. Thank you for the recipe. I spiced it up a little bit with peppers and rice. DELICIOUS! So thank you, Mom. I've learned that I really do know how to cook, and I'm pretty good at it. Whenever we have meals to make for dinner, breakfast, etc., the district always has me cook. What up!

A agreed to a baptismal date for the 17th of Nov. We'll see if that happens. I won't be here, but that's ok. I'm not upset about that, I'm just happy it's happening.

11/4
I'm now on long island in a place called Freeport. I like my companion a lot. His name is Elder Chris Nielson from Highland. We get along pretty well which is nice. It's a small branch here, combined Spanish and English-speaking, and I now play the piano. I really like all the members and all the people that I'm working with. They're all super nice! I just miss the city. 
[We responded that we knew the area because it was near where my Aunt Elaine lived.]
Yeah, I thought you probably knew this area. Also, I have a car. It's weird haha

11/12
Glad to hear all the missionaries are safe there [in the Philippines]. I have a few friends there, so I'm glad they're safe.

Things are ok here. I get along really well with Elder Nielson, my comp. He's a great guy. We got our first snow storm of the season today. Nothing too big or that stuck, but still. Winter is definitely here, or has it's foot in the door. 

Tomorrow we get iPads. Weird. I don't know how I feel about it. Every missionary will have their own personal iPad. iPhones are coming like next month or something. Again, weird.
Having a car is weird too...

Um... nothing else is really new. Not too much to tell. 

11/25
Well, this week has been pretty good. Started off with Eng class which is always fun then continued to a very memorable experience with a member. We got a call from a member asking us to come visit. When we got there he explained how he was going through hard times and had even thought about ending his life. He felt bad because he family left him because he had been drinking too much and when he'd finally started to stop, things just got worse and then he started drinking again. We talked with him a lot and I hope we brought some comfort. He wanted us to come over again the next day, but when we did he wasn't there and didn't answer his phone. He hasn't been home since whenever we've tried and hasn't answered his phone, so I'm a little bit worried. We'll see what happens.

The next day was a wonderful exchange with a way cool kid named Elder Mueller from CO (not too far from Castle Rock.) One of the best exchanges I've ever had. I would love to be comps with that kid one day.

We had a mega zone conference this week. This is when 3+ zones (in our case 4) get together to have a conference and hear from president and the APs. I hate missionaries haha. It's funny because you can look at a missionary and be able to tell what type of missionary they are. Some are city missionaries and some are island missionaries. I am without a doubt in my mind a city missionary. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this area and the people here, but it just doesn't fit my personality that well. I used to think that I was too crazy for my zone, but when I got together with all the island zones I realized I was just too crazy for the island haha. Maybe energetic is a better word. Either way, you can look at the missionaries that don't fit in extremely well and it's simply because their personalities are different than the other missionaries, but would fit in perfect with the missionaries in the city. There's nothing bad about the island missionaries, they're just a different personality than me. Oh well. Así es la vida. Other than that the conference was ok.

I'm glad to hear gram is out of the hospital and doing better. I asked pres for permission to call with the thought that this was the end, but he never responded. I understand because he was super busy this week dealing with all the mission conferences, so I'm not really upset because nothing ended up happening. I was just going to call if things really had gotten bad, but I still wanted to let him know and ask permission.

Something cool from the video on FB. A Jewish man we are working with (who is a really, really good friend of mine) saw the video and loved it. I got a call from him one day and he was choking up. He told me that I have a very special gift and could really make it if I tried. He was very serious about this. More than anyone ever has been. It was very nice. Not as an ego booster, but because it's nice to know that someone thinks you are really special. He asked if he could share it, but specifically with one of his friends who is in the opera industry. I said sure, knowing that it wasn't professional quality and that a professional wouldn't think of it the same way he did, but what the hey. So he shared it and the guy said it was good and I had potential, but I need training, which he could get. My friend explained that I wouldn't be done with my mission till next summer and the guy was ok with that. So now I have a possible connection and might have the possibility to go to NYU for opera. I still don't think I'm good enough right now to get that connection, nor do I think I'm wanting to go into opera, but I have been considering going back into music. So that was very nice and we'll see what happens.

I've been thinking about doing more covers of songs and posting them on YouTube as well as doing video blogs instead of letters because I'd be a lot better at that haha. Idk, we'll see.

Speaking of singing, I got asked to do another concert in the same mall, this time for Christmas. I have no idea yet what I'm going to do. Probably O Holy Night, I'll Be Home for Christmas, Do You Hear What I Hear, and/or Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. I'll keep ya updated. It'll be on Dec 4.

Having a car sucks haha. I'm tired and car sick all the time. ALL THE TIME! Haha lame! I would rather be walking 24/7 in the cold. And I can say that because I did that last year haha.

This week is going to be fun. We have Turkey Bowl Thursday morning, dinner with a member (english so actual thanksgiving food!) and then another dinner with a different member from Honduras where I'm getting baleadas! The greatest food on the planet. I AM NOT JOKING! So I'm excited.

As for the internet missionary work, interesting things have been happening. I've been able to talk with a few friends and really help them come to terms with their personal issues and church policies. Granted, it isn't because of me, but it's still cool that I got to talk to them about it. It definitely couldn't have happened if we weren't using fb.

Funny quotes of the week:
"Oh winter, where all gender identification goes out the window as we become giant blobs of genderless clothes."
"You know you’ve truly made it in life when you buy toilet paper for comfort instead of necessity."
Fact of the day: Carrots are the most dangerous vegetable on the planet. Choose one wrong and your taste is ruined for the rest of the day. 
Fact #2: No matter who you are, you will always choose that carrot."
Fact of the day: True guilt comes when you cut through a red light a little too close. True relief comes when you see that the person behind you also went through that light."

From English class:
Teacher 1 - “Oh, that’s karaoke”
Spanish student - “Que es eso?” (What is that?)
Me - “Karaoke” *with slight spanish accent*
Student - “Ooooooooohhhh ok”
Teacher 1 – face palm
The joys of teaching English to Spanish speakers."

I also got a nice jacket that has been perfect for winter. :) In other words it is freezing here.

12/2
If anyone asks what I want for Christmas tell them nothing. I have way too much stuff and am trying to cut it down. Letters are nice and so are gift cards, to like subway but I really don't want or need anything.

This week was pretty dang good. It's already week 6 which means transfers are next week. We'll see what ends up happening.

On thanksgiving we went over to the house of the ___ family, and played with their two little boys. It was a wonderful time. She reminds me of Brianna in both looks and personality, so it was like I was with Nanna for thanksgiving. Couldn't ask for more. He's in his 3rd year of residency at a nearby hospital, and we had a lot of good conversations about it all. After that we went to a Honduran house and had so much fun. It was a wonderful time. I got my favorite food (baleadas) and just enjoyed myself.

The next day we went over to H's house. He's the guy who loved the video of me singing. We went and did service for his mom, then he asked us to stay for their thanksgiving. I don't know how many Jewish family gatherings you've been to, but I'll let you know it's exactly like our Italian family get-togethers. We yell, we fight, we piss each other off, and we love each other. It was a really nice time and they were all so much fun and so nice to us. It was funny at first because we were asked who we were and what we did. We replied Mormon missionaries, we go and teach people about our church. You could tell the thoughts running through their heads, "How the hell did you get into a Jewish household?" Haha they always asked how we came to know M and his wife and one guy even asked how we made it to this table haha. We explained that we were friends of M and we just do service at his mother’s house every week. Everyone was very nice and asked a lot of questions and it was just fun. It felt like if I had been with the Boerios for Thanksgiving.

Unfortunately all wasn't well for long. (Before I tell this story, know it ends well so read this willing to laugh.)  M's mother is 92 and bed ridden. They wanted to try and have her down at the table, so they asked us to help move her, which we did. The whole thing was an ordeal, mainly because she was really scared. "If you I fall I will die!" was the expression I heard most during this move. We got her from the bed to a chair to the chair lift to another chair to the table. That all went well, and she was content when she was at the table. I need to mention that she has severe dementia and can't remember things that well. So it came time when we needed to help take her back to her bed and because of the dementia she couldn't remember that we had made the trip down in the first place, so it was another scary ordeal for her. We got her to the chair lift and up the stairs when her head plopped down. She passed out and everyone freaked out. To paint this picture all you need to do is again imagine how an Italian family would react in this situation. Lots of "what do we do?" and "call 911." All very good questions and all things that were done correctly. The funny part is the convo of, "should we move her to her bed? That's where she wanted to be." At which point they turned to me and said "Jim, (they all called me Jim for some reason) what do we do?" How would I know haha I'm 20! I WANT to be a doctor, that doesn't mean I know how to yet! Haha so we decided to put her back in her bed at which point I picked her up and ran her to her bed where she regained consciousness and color. The paramedics came and they decided to take her to the hospital. She is fine now. She got a blood transfusion because her hemoglobin was low. After getting her to her bed, I left the room because I didn't need to be there and pretend to know something when I didn't. That's just dumb. So I sat downstairs with the nieces. Now talk about similar culture. I got the in-life version of the movie group of older women friends gossiping and talking about everything. Glorious. We helped clean lock up and then went off to our branch president's house. All in all, a very interesting day. We went and visited her the next day in the hospital and she was fine and surprisingly remembered us. It didn't last long, but it was good to see that she was well.

This Saturday is the concert I'm singing in. I believe it's at the mall again.

No comments:

Post a Comment